Homicide Rocks WPS Officers – Teen Killed, Suspect Shot

WPS PIO – Cst Rob Carver (Photo JGJ)

On March 3, 2019, at approximately 9:00 p.m., Winnipeg Police Central Division officers responded to a report of a residential home invasion in progress in the 700 block of McGee Street.

Information received at the time indicated a 17-year-old male resident was home alone with his grandmother at this location.

Patrol officers arrived within minutes and entered the home where they located the teen who was in the process of being assaulted with a weapon by an intruder.

Officers immediately responded by discharging their firearms striking the attacker.

The 17-year-old victim and the 29-year-old suspect were both rushed to hospital in critical condition.

“I’ve been doing this for a number of years, and there are few days I don’t want to come in — this would be one of those mornings.”

Tragically, the 17-year-old victim died as a result of the injuries sustained during the attack.

Police report the suspect remains in hospital in critical condition.

The victim was identified as Jaime Adao (17) of Winnipeg.

During a press conference live-streamed on Facebook, WPS Public Information Officer Constable Rob Carver indicated;

“I’ve been doing this for a number of years, and there are few days I don’t want to come in — this would be one of those mornings.”

He continued;

Jaime Adao (FB)

“The incident has affected not only the family but also our entire service. Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family for this tragic and senseless homicide.”

Carver, a grizzled WPS veteran, told the press he listened to the 911 call recorded in connection with the incident before taking the podium. The call included all communications recorded up to and including the moment the shots were fired.

Carver was not afraid to share the fact the incident was emotionally traumatizing for everyone involved;

“I will never get over it,” he said. “It will sit with me forever.”

Carver advised the suspect shot in this incident was “known to police.”

He has yet to be identified.

The Manitoba Independent Investigations Unit (IIU) is investigating the officer-involved shooting aspect of the incident.

Police are looking for assistance in establishing timelines leading up to the incident and are asking anyone with information that may assist the investigation to call investigators at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477.


Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Winnipeg Police Service issues a news release indicating the suspect shot in this case has now been charged in connection with the death of Adao.

Police have charged Ronald Bruce Chubb (29) of Winnipeg with;

  • 2nd-degree murder
  • Attempt Murder
  • Fail to comply with probation

Chubb was charged in connection with the homicide after he was discharged from hospital.

He has been detained in custody.

Update II
Geordie Delmar James (FB)

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Winnipeg Police issued a news release announcing charges against another man in connection with this homicide.

On April 24, 2019, members of the WPS Homicide Unit attended the Headingley Correctional Center and arrested the man.

Police indicate they believe the man was present in the victim’s residence at the time of the killing.

The suspect was identified as Geordie Delmar James (34) of Winnipeg.

James was charged with manslaughter and returned to custody.

Insider Commentary;

Adao is the 6th reported homicide victim of 2019.

In 2018, the 6th homicide of the year was reported on May 21.

In 2017, the 6th homicide of the year was recorded on March 12th.

Officer Involved Shootings:

The shooting of the attacker in this case is the 4th officer-involved-shooting of 2019.

Two (2) of these shootings have been fatal.

In all of 2018, the WPS reported only one officer involved non-fatal shooting.

Detailed information regarding police officer-involved shootings was contained in The Police Insider – 2018 Murder in River City – Year in Review article.

As horrific as these circumstances are, this is not the first time a WPS Officer has had to use deadly force in the defence of an innocent victim.

On March 27, 2007, shortly before 8:00 a.m., members of the WPS received a 911 call from staff and residents at the Madison Memorial Lodge located at 210 Evanston Street.

Callers indicated a resident identified as Ahmad Saleh-Azad, a diagnosed schizophrenic, was armed with a knife and stabbing another resident identified as Alexander Kolesnyk.

Police arrived within minutes and confronted Saleh-Azad who was still armed with the knife.

Saleh-Azad was subsequently shot and killed by police in the deadly encounter.

The victim Kolesnyk also died from injuries sustained in the attack.

The shooting was found to be justified.

(There may be other cases of WPS Officers using deadly force in defence of others not included in this report.)


  1. Our officers hope every day that they will not have to shoot. It is traumatizing to them. We are so fortunate to have these brave men and women in uniform protecting us even at night when we are sleeping.

  2. James G Jewell


    I can help you with some of your questions.

    Regarding the 911 call, all I can tell you is that it takes time to debrief callers to obtain the critical information to dispatch police so they can have the necessary information required to proceed in the tactically safest manner possible. The call will be recorded and analyzed and you can be sure if there are any issue with the manner in which the call was taken they will be addressed. I can tell you, the duties of the 911 callers are stressful and more difficult than most people would imagine. Not making any excused, just providing context for you.

    Regarding the home alone issue – in the circumstances, I’d respectfully suggest you’re splitting hairs here.

    Regarding the identify of the suspect – that is a fair question. Police can’t identify the suspect until he has been formally charged. In this case, the suspect remains in the hospital in critical condition and will require several surgeries, from what I understand.

    Regarding the weapon issue – police will properly protect this information as “hold back” information. Interrogators will want to question the suspect regarding the weapon used, it will be of no use if the suspect could have learned details about the weapon in the press.

    Regarding the reference to the deceased – the officer was talking about the victim in the past tense, nothing more than that.

    Regarding the possibility the police shot the victim – while anything is possible at this point, the autopsy would have certainly identified the cause of death and whether or not the victim was shot by the police. It would be somewhat unusual if the police sat on this information this long and to ease your concern, there is no way they could ever cover up a situation like that.

    Police do accidentally shoot victims in deadly force situations from time to time while attempting to prevent the death of a citizen. It happens, its tragic and its rare. Police officers are trained to act in these situations, the alternative is to stand by and do nothing and thats just not going to happen.

    I disagree with your suggestion there is a cover up here, and I love a good conspiracy as much as the next guy.

    Hope that helped…

    Thank you for reading, and thank you for your questions.

  3. I have some thoughts on this incident.

    The police spokesman was quick to inform the public how FAST the response time was – only 4 and a half minutes from the time the call came in. He said that the 911 operator was speaking to someone who was “calm cool and collected” or words to that effect. Is that the justification for taking an entire 2 and a half minutes to dispatch a radio car when someone is describing an armed assailant breaking in, gaining entry and assaulting myself or others with a weapon?

    I challenge you to start a stopwatch and watch the sweep second hand make its way toward 2:30 while you are on the phone with a 911 operator while you are being killed. Was it because they were talking to someone who was “calm, cool and collected” and therefore it did not seem like there was a sense of urgency?

    Kudos to the officer responding – at least he demonstrated urgency.

    Next – the situation should not have been described as a “17 year old home alone with his grandmother”. We’re not idiots here. You are either home alone or you are not.

    Next – why is there no identification of the assailant?

    Is it possible he belongs to a protected group whom the police, civic government or the media do not want to “cast in a bad light” Stop it. Facts please. There was also mention of gun crimes by a police spokesman. Was gun crime involved? What weapon was being used by the assailant? Was it a firearm? Not asked and not answered.

    Next – why was the weapon left out of the story? As I was possibly misled to misunderstand, the media told us the responding police officer entered the residence to “find the assailant assaulting the deceased.” Not sure if the 17 year-old boy was deceased at that time or if he was just erroneously described that way by the spokesman.

    The whole thing is not being presented clearly to the public – and I can’t help but feel this is intentional.

    It is possible, after listening to the description of events, that the responding police officer shot the assailant and in the process also shot the victim? I don’t know if that happened or not. A lazy media didn’t bother to ask.

    If the victim was already deceased, and the police officer DID shoot him in such a manner as to cause death – would that create a problem (or should I say “challenge”) in how the incident would be described to the media and the public?

    This whole thing reeks of cover-up.

    I would prefer if my full name not be made public.


Share your thoughts - we value your opinion!