ST B Killer Catches 2nd Degree Murder, Attempt Murder Charges – Police Officer Survives Deadly Confrontation

WPS Public Information Officer Cst Jason Michalyshyn (Photo JGJ)
WPS Public Information Officer Cst Jason Michalyshyn (Photo JGJ)

A Winnipeg Police officer is lucky to be alive after a potentially deadly encounter with a murder suspect fleeing the scene of a grizzly domestic violence slaying.

On Sunday, September 21, 2014, the WPS held a press conference and released further details regarding the incident.

In a previous release, police advised that on September 20, 2014 just before 5:00 am, patrol units responded to a residence in the 100 block of Hill Street regarding the report of a female in need of assistance.

On arrival, a WPS officer, working a one officer patrol car, spotted a suspect in the area of Caton Street and Hill Street and attempted to make an arrest.

Police indicate the suspect brandished a knife during the arrest and attacked the officer who sustained non-life threatening injuries during the encounter.  Police report the officer was able to disarm the suspect who then attempted to grab for the officer’s firearm.

The suspect was eventually secured and taken into custody.

Michalyshyn indicated the injuries to the officer could be best described as, “Serious lacerations to his extremities.”

Police subsequently located a twenty-four (24) year old female in the lower level suite of the residence who was suffering from serious upper body injuries.  The woman was transported from the scene in critical condition but later died from her injuries.

Autopsy results are still pending.

Police have yet to identify the victim.

Police report Kyle William Hunter (25) of Winnipeg has been charged with the following offences due to his alleged involvement:

  • 2nd Degree Murder
  • Attempt Murder  (Police Officer)
  • Attempt to Disarm a Peace Officer
  • Possess Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose
  • Fail to Comply with an Undertaking

Hunter was detained at the Provincial Remand Center.

The woman killed in this incident is the eighteenth (18) reported homicide victim in Winnipeg in 2014.

A total of twelve (12) of the eighteen (18) homicide victims this year died as a result of suffering wounds sustained in edged weapon attacks or stabbings.  (66%)


The last Winnipeg Police Service officer to be killed in the line of duty was Detective Ronald Houston on June 26, 1970.

We are fortunate that statistic remains unchanged.

The officer involved in this arrest is extremely lucky to have survived this deadly attack.

It’s believed the officer was a veteran member of the Police Service operating a Supervisor vehicle when the Hill Street call was dispatched.  Supervisors generally work one Officer Patrol Units but do on occasion ride with Rookie Officers or other Officers who don’t happen to have a partner due to holidays or illness.

The confrontation with Hunter represents one of the most dangerous scenarios a Law Enforcement Officer can encounter.  The arrest of a killer fleeing from the scene of the crime.  Police calls do not get more dangerous than this.

The officer had no way of knowing the man he was about to confront had just brutally murdered a young woman in a violent domestic assault.

As he fled from the scene of the crime Hunter would likely be experiencing an adrenaline overload.  That adrenaline may have been mixed with a combination of alcohol or drugs, or both, making him a highly volatile dangerous offender.

The officer had no way of knowing what Hunter had done, if he was armed or what his intentions were.

It was nearing 5:00 am, the neighborhood was in darkness making it extremely difficult to see what, if anything, Hunter may have been carrying in his hands.  The low light conditions make the encounter even more dangerous.

The officer arrives and observes a dark figure in the area near the dispatch location.  He has to make a decision.  Do I stop and talk to this guy or do I head directly to the scene?  Most rookie cops would drive past the suspect and head directly to the call.  It’s called tunnel vision.  I know, I cruised past many suspects before I gained the experience that taught me to keep my eyes open when I entered the hot zone.

Make no mistake about it, stopping the suspect was a veteran move.

The officer stops his cruiser car to investigate.  He approaches the man to determine if he’s connected to the 911 call.  Then it happens, in the blink of an eye the fight is on, the suspect is armed with a knife and starts slashing at the officer.  Training and survival instincts immediately take over.  The officer has to fight for his life.  He’s being slashed and injured but may not even feel it.  That’s because by he’s experiencing his own adrenaline rush.

He manages to disarm the attacker who now escalates the confrontation by grabbing for the officers’ firearm.  If he gets it the officer’s dead.

The officer knows it and the suspect knows it.

Cops are often killed by suspects who overpower them and seize their firearms.

All police officers know they’re at an extreme disadvantage when it comes to the principles of action vs reaction in deadly force encounters such as this.

John Hopkins online magazine reports nearly ten percent (10%) of police officers killed in the line of duty died as a result of being disarmed and shot by their own firearm.  Almost half of the victim’s were working one officer patrol units responding to domestic disputes.

Is there any doubt what would have happened if Hunter would have been successful in his attempt to disarm the WPS officer?

There’s no doubt in my mind.

Thankfully, the suspect was taken into custody and the officer lives to tell the story.

The officer who effected this arrest should be commended for his powers of observation, keen instincts, courage and restraint during the suspect’s arrest.

Mr. Hunter should be a grateful man.

This could have turned out much differently for him.


On July 21, 2009, Daniel Ian Anderson was sentenced to fourteen (14) years in prison after being convicted of Attempt Murder on a Law Enforcement Officer.

Crown Attorney Brian Bell petitioned the Court for a sentence of twenty (20) years.

Anderson shot WPS Constable Donald Murray with a shotgun through a closed bathroom door in a cowardly attack launched during the execution of a drug warrant.

Constable Curtis Penner suffered significant injuries during the incident after being shot in the hand and forearm.

Constable Jeremy Cull was also injured after being struck in the leg by a ricocheting bullet fired by Police.



-Every person who attempts by any means to commit murder is guilty of an indictable offences and is liable to imprisonment for life


-Every person commits an offence who, without the consent of a peace officer, takes or attempts to take a weapon that is in the possession of the peace officer when the peace officer is engaged in the execution of his or her duty.


-A maximum term of Five years (indictable offence)

-A maximum term of 18 months (summary conviction)


The Police Insider – “St B Murder Shakes Quiet Neighbourhood”


Previous dates when Winnipeg Recorded the 18th Homicide of the year;

2013 – Sept 20
2012 – July 6
2011 – July 16 (Record Year – 41 Homicides)
2010 – Sept 10
2009 – Aug 11
2008 – July 6
2007 – Sept 1
2006 – Oct 29
2005 – Aug 24
2004 – Aug 12 (Previous Record Year – 34 Homicides) (100% solvency)


  1. I was locked up with this guy he is hardy a dangerous man he was one of the most polite guys in there felt more safe around him then the guards. He was a victum of drugs and he had mental health issues that should have been addressed.

  2. James G Jewell

    Appreciate your comments…

    I’ll make sure your the Officers get your message.

  3. Thank you for posting this. I live on Hill Street and we are all very grateful the officer is okay. By taking down this murderer, he made our street much safer. We are all grateful for the work that police do. It could have been much worse. To all of the officers – thank so you much from Hill Street.

Share your thoughts - we value your opinion!