Teen Gangster Collared For 2013 Nigel Dixon Murder


On March 13, 2014, members of the Vancouver Police Department arrested the eighteen (18) year old suspect wanted in connection with the gang related murder of twenty (20) year old victim Nigel Dixon.

On April 2, 2013, just after 4:00 pm, Dixon was gunned down in a brazen broad daylight shooting in the 500 block of Langside Street.  A woman in his company was also shot but survived the seemingly random attack.

Police believe the victims were walking in the area when they were approached by a group of thugs who accused them of being gang members.  The victim’s denied having any gang involvement and walked away to avoid any further confrontation.  The denials failed to convince one of the gangsters who brandished a firearm and opened fire on the defenceless couple.

Police confirmed the victims had no gang associations and were shot in what they believed was a reckless case of mistaken identity.


A cursory search of the area near the crime scene showed evidence of significant gang tagging indicative of street gangs locked in struggle to control “turf.”  Media reports suggested tensions between Manitoba Warriors and Mad Cow gang members was heating up in the area.

On May 8, 2013, Police reported they obtained a Canada Wide Warrant for 2nd degree murder for a seventeen (17) year old offender who was identified after Police obtained a court order authorizing the release of his name and photograph.

(That order has expired and any further publication of the suspects name & photograph is prohibited by law.)

Police confirmed the suspect was believed to have gang associations.

On Friday, January 17, 2014, Police issued a press release indicating they were still pursuing the suspect who remained at large.  Police obtained a second court order authorizing the release of the suspects identity and photograph and asked media outlets to share the information across the Country.

At the time of the initial press release, Police indicated they believed the suspect had fled the City and may have been on the run in Toronto, Calgary, Red Deer or Vancouver.  Police cautioned the suspect may have altered his appearance by changing his hairstyle, growing a beard or moustache or by covering his tattoos.

The investigation continued by the Winnipeg Police Service Homicide Unit who enlisted the assistance of the Vancouver Police Department.

On March 15, 2014, the suspect was returned to the City of Winnipeg and was subsequently detained at the Manitoba Youth Center.


The Police Insider would never have predicted the suspect in this case would have managed to successfully elude capture for almost one (1) year.

It would seem logical he had significant assistance in his efforts to evade arrest.  Person (s) who provide assistance to wanted suspects in cases such as these expose themselves to the risk of being charged with being an accessory after the fact.

Per Section 240 Criminal Code of Canada – Every one who is an accessory after the fact to murder is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life.

Police have indicated no further arrests are pending.


If the suspect in this case is convicted of second degree murder and sentenced as an adult he’ll receive a life sentence and will be eligible for parole after a scant seven (7) years in custody.

If he’s convicted of second degree murder and sentenced as a young offender, he’ll receive a maximum sentence of seven (7) years – only four (4) of which will be served in custody while the remaining three (3) years must be served in the community with conditions and under supervision.

Share your thoughts - we value your opinion!