On September 21, 2019 at approximately 4:30 p.m., emergency personnel responded to the report of an injured woman at a residential building in the 500 block of Balmoral Street.
On arrival, police located a deceased woman inside a building.
The victim has been identified as Norma Helen Andrews (28) years of Winnipeg.
The investigation is continuing by members of the Homicide Unit. Anyone with information that may assist investigators is asked to call 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477.
Information regarding cause of death or motive for the killing has not been released
No suspects have been arrested.
Andrews is the 29th reported homicide victim of the year in Winnipeg.
Police have solved all but 4 of the 29 cases – solvency rate = 86%.
A total of four (4) women have been killed in homicide cases this year.
In 2018, the City of Winnipeg recorded a total of twenty-two (22) homicide cases.
In 2018, a total of five (5) women were killed in homicide cases.
In 2011, the City of Winnipeg recorded a record 41 homicide cases.
In 2011, a total of ten (10) women were killed in homicide cases.
In 2011, the 29th homicide of the year was recorded on the 24th day of August.
Friday, October 4, 2019
Police issue a media release indicating charges have been laid in this case.
On October 3, 2019, an arrest warrant was issued for 2nd degree murder for a suspect in the case. Later that day, police arrested the man identified as Jesse Jordan Gamblin (20) of Winnipeg.
The arrest warrant was executed and Gamblin was subsequently detained in custody.
Police Public Information Officer Constable Rob Carver indicated the victim died from, “severe upper body trauma”, but declined to confirm if a weapon was used.
Carver indicated the victim may have known the accused killer but their connection was “minimal.”
He refuted media suggestions the victim was involved in the sex trade indicating, “That’s not the information that I have when I was briefed by Homicide this morning, um, I’ve heard that rumor, that’s not the interaction that we have or the understanding we have.”
Carver confirmed the WPS have solved all but 3 of the 29 reported homicide cases under investigation this year.
That translates to a solvency rate of 89.65%.
Carver told media outlets that Homicide investigators continue to ask for the public’s assistance in this investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to call homicide investigators at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-204-786-8477.
October 7, 2019
Winnipeg Free Press crime reporter Ryan Thorpe publishes a story suggesting Andrew’s accused killer should have been in jail at the time of her killing.
Thorpe learned the accused killer, Jesse Jordan Gamblin (20), had been charged with five (5) different crimes in four (4) separate incidents in the months leading up to Andrew’s killing.
Thorpe put the timeline together;
February 7, 2019
- Gamblin charged with assault with a weapon and theft under $5,000 after he attempted to steal a home stereo from a local pawn shop
- He was subsequently released on a promise to appear
March 1, 2019
- Gamblin charged with fail to comply with court orders and is subsequently released from custody (Details of release are not yet known.)
March 13, 2019
- Gamblin charged with aggravated assault in a horrific attack on a woman who he allegedly hacked with a machete. The woman, who was a friend, who had previously offered him shelter when he was homeless. The woman was sleeping at the time of the attack.
- Court records indicate she escaped by crawling through a broken bedroom window.
- The victim suffered 10 stab wounds to her chest, torso, hands and pelvis that required a total of 20 staples and 5 sutures.
- The Crown opposed Gamblin’s release citing a “horrible record of violence” however, his defense attorney argued for his release to the Behavioural Health Foundation, a long term residential program for people with addiction and co-occurring mental health issues…
- (Its important to note the BHF is not a secure facility and people frequently walk away from the program.)
- Judge releases Gamblin to the BHF with a series of conditions (Date of release not yet known)
- Gamblin leaves BHF violating conditions of his release (Date he left program not yet known)
September 5, 2019
- Gamblin charged with failure to comply with court orders and is once again released from custody (Details of release are not yet known.)
September 21, 2019
- Gamblin charged with killing Andrews
He now remains in custody.
2019 Homicide Statistics
Manner of Death
- Shooting – 10
- Stabbing – 8
- Blunt Force Trauma – 2
- Not Disclosed – 9
Gender of Victims;
- Male – 25
- Female – 4
2019 Homicide by the Month
- January – 3
- February – 2
- March – 6
- April – 2
- May – 6
- June – 5
- July – 1
- August – 3
- September – 1
2011 Homicide by the Month
- January – 3
- February – 4
- March – 2
- April – 2
- May – 5
- June – 1
- July – 6 – (Includes an incident where 5 people died in an arson-related incident.)
- August – 6
- September – 4
- October – 2
- November – 1
- December – 5