In April 2013, members of the Winnipeg Police Service Street Crime Unit initiated Project Falling Star, a lengthy investigation targeting members of the Manitoba Warriors Street Gang.
The Manitoba Warriors have been known to promote illicit drug sales and commit acts of violence linked to the territorial disputes related to drug distribution networks.
As a result of information gathered, “Project Falling Star” focussed on specific drug cells within the gang.
Certain investigative techniques were utilized, which resulted in evidence being gathered to support criminal code charges on fifty-seven (57) Manitoba Warriors and / or associates. Seven (7) CDSA search warrants and three (3) Firearms warrants were executed throughout the project.
On January 16th, 2014 members of the Street Crime Unit, Tactical Support Team and Uniform Patrol members concluded the project by conducting a search warrant at a location in the 700 block of Main Street. As a result of evidence gathered, the following individuals were charged with the following offences due to their alleged involvement:
- Robert Henry (51 years-old) CDSA 5 (1) x 2
- Michael Flett (49 years-old) CDSA 5 (1) x 7
- Ryan Williams (35 years-old) CDSA 5 (1) x 3
- Nelson Murdock (44 years-old) CDSA 5 (1) x 2
- Deidra Berens (29 years-old) CDSA 5 (1)
As a result of the nine month investigation, Arrest warrants were obtained for 22 members charged with the following offences due to their alleged involvement:
- Corrine Hogan (49) CDSA 5 (1) x 6
- Dakota Saskowski (20) CDSA 5 (1) x 3
- Mark Parkhill (50) CDSA 5 (1)
- Matthew Hollohan (30) CDSA (1) x 2, FTC Recognizance x 2
- Harkinder Gill (42) CDSA 5 (1)
- Matthew Moore (32) CDSA 5 (1), FTC Probation Order
- Kyle Henry (24) CDSA 5 (1) x 3
- Eduardo Campos (23) CDSA 5 (1) x 2, FTC UTJ x 2
- Timothy Durocher (23) CDSA 5 (1)
- Kathleen Shellrude (37) CDSA 5 (1) x 2
- Justin Pranteau (22) CDSA 5 (1), FTC Probation Order
- Robert Muminawatum (28) CDSA 5 (1) x 2, FTC Probation Order x 2
- Amanda Parisian (27) CDSA 5 (1)
- Vanessa Bone (21) CDSA 5 (1) x 2, FTC Probation Order x 2
- Robert Champagne (31) CDSA 5 (1)
- Desi Courchene (27) CDSA 5 (1)
Warrants of Arrest have been issued for the following two individuals:
Both suspects are wanted for Trafficking in Cocaine.
Three male youths have also been arrested and charged along with one male youth who is still outstanding:
Sixteen (16) year male old offender charged – CDSA 5 (1), FTC UTJ
Sixteen (16) year male old offender charged – CDSA 5 (1) x 2, FTC Probation Order x 2
Seventeen (17) year male old offender charged – CDSA 5 (1), FTC Probation Order
*Seventeen (17) year male old offender charged – CDSA 5 (1) x 2, FTC Recognizance x 2
*Outstanding male suspect
The following items were seized during the investigation:
- 824 rocks of crack cocaine (1/4 grams a piece) – street value $16,480.00
- 2.5 ounces of powder cocaine – street value $4,500.00
- 3 grams methamphetamine – street value $600.00
- 140 grams of marihuana – street value $1,400.00
- $13,500.00 cash
- Loaded sawed off pump-action shotgun with shortened stock
- Loaded sawed off 12 gauge shotgun
- Stevens Loaded sawed off 12 gauge shotgun
- Sawed off 12 gauge break action shotgun
- Smith and Wesson .357 magnum revolver handgun
- Maverick 12 gauge shotgun
- Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun
- Winchester model 34 33-30 rifle
- CBC .22 calibre rifle
- Cooey model 38-22 calibre rifle
- 12 gauge pump-action shotgun
- 12 gauge shotgun
- Pellet gun x 2
- Air soft gun
- 1 stock and barrel for a Maverick 12 gauge shotgun
- 1 stock and 1 barrel for a Cooey shotgun
- Sixty-five (65) – 12 Gauge shot-gun shells
- Twelve (12) – .38 calibre special ammunition shells
- One (1) military fragmentation ballistic vest
- Three (3) ballistic vests
- One (1) Manitoba Warrior ballistic vest
ADDITIONAL ITEMS SEIZED:
- 1 stun gun
- Brass knuckles
- Nun chucks
- Numerous weigh scales
- Miscellaneous drug packaging material
- Numerous cellular phones
- 3 x Machete’s
- Numerous assorted Manitoba Warrior patches and rockers
- Numerous Manitoba Warrior vests (with Top and Bottom Rockers)
Manitoba Warrior support wear items including:
- White Manitoba Warrior tank top
- White Manitoba Warrior jersey
- Black Manitoba Warrior jersey
CRIME PREVENTION THROUGH SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE:
Chief Clunis’ vision for creating a culture of safety for the Citizens of Winnipeg includes a shift from employing solely traditional enforcement techniques.
By definition, Crime Prevention through Social Development (CPTSD) involves long-term, integrated actions that deal with the root causes of crime. Its aim is to reduce risk factors that start people, particularly children and youth, on the road to crime, and to build protective factors that may mitigate those risks.
In the spring of 2013, the Winnipeg Police Service Street Crime Unit re-aligned under the command of Division 40 Organized Crime Division.
As a result, a targeted prevention approach centered toward at-risk youths vulnerable to joining gangs was established.
The development of this program aligns with crime prevention through social development strategies by:
- Identifying At-Risk Youth and younger siblings of active gang members.
- Ensuring follow-up and intervention with the assistance of Community Relations and School Resource Officers is completed.
- Efforts are made to reach out to families to ensure they are connected with resources to prevent their children from being involved with any other gang.
- The assignment of Community Relations members to attend to the families and offer support and direction to change the dynamics of families, peer groups and neighbourhoods
Crime Prevention Through Social Development is where people and organizations work together to make our communities healthy, safe and sustainable into the future.